Residential Life


What is the difference between a "dorm" and a "residence hall"?

A dorm is simply a place to sleep, while a residence hall is a place to live and learn in a community environment where dedicated full-time professionals are available 24-hours a day.

What is the length (term) of the housing contract?

The student housing contract is a legally binding contract for the full academic year, and is not a fall-only contract. Students will be held accountable for both the fall and spring semester housing charges. (Information regarding the complete Housing Policy can be found in the Student Handbook pp. 13-15 and the Undergraduate Bulletin pp. 41-42.)

What is the residence hall assignment process?

Lincoln University operates eight residence halls:  Anthony, Bennett, Dawson, Hoard, Perry, Sherman, Tull and Yates.  In May, 2009, Dawson Hall was designated LU's freshman center and is now the home for our first-time female and male freshmen.  All returning residents or transfer students may request space in one of the remaining seven halls keeping in mind the following criteria:  Bennett Hall is designated for students studying agriculture and/or natural sciences, Hoard is single gender and for male students with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better, and Yates is single gender for female students with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better.  Assignments are made throughout the summer and residents are notified of their assignment in late July.  First-time freshmen and transfer students must pay their room deposit and submit a completed contract before an assignment to Dawson Hall is made.

How are rooms and roommates assigned?

Students are assigned a room and roommate based on the information submitted on the Residence Hall Questionnaire accompanying the contract. It is the Department's policy not to discriminate when assigning roommates based on race, religion, sexual orientation, nationality or culture. Every effort will be made to honor mutual roommate requests provided the timeliness in receipt of the contracts and that both students have been assigned to the same residence hall.

How are housing fees billed and paid?

Housing Fees will be placed on the student's University account at the beginning of each semester or at the time of their contract renewal. These charges are due at the start of each semester. If a deferred payment plan option is chosen, payments and due dates are set out by the Bursar's Office. All payments should be made payable to Lincoln University and forwarded directly to the Bursar's Office.

Is personal property insurance necessary?

The University cannot be held responsible for loss or damage to any student's personal items. With this in mind, we highly recommend renter's insurance if personal items are not covered under the family's homeowner's insurance plan. Renter's insurance information is provided to the student upon receipt of their contract and room deposit or can be obtained in the Office of Residential Life.

How big are the beds?

All beds are standard twin beds. Standard twin sheets are required as well as a mattress pad.

Can we bring our own microwave and/or refrigerator?

The University provides a microwave and refrigerator in each living unit. Personal microwaves and/or refrigerators are not permitted in the residence halls.

Is telephone and cable service provided?

Local telephone service is provided in all residence halls. Students must provide their own telephone which is highly recommended to provide an effective means of communication between students and University faculty and/or staff. Personal calling cards are recommended for long distance service if the student does not have access to a cell phone.
Cable connections are provided in each residence hall room.

What computer technology is provided?

Residents of all residence halls benefit from network modules provided in each living unit. Residents with their own personal computer may use an Ethernet card or wireless device to utilize these network connections to access the University's mainframe, Internet, and library on-line systems. Fully equipped computer labs are located in the Page Library, Stamper Hall, rm. 118 and Founders Hall, rm. 5. Access to the labs is in accordance to each facilities' hours of operation and when classes are not being held in Founders Hall, rm. 5.

When do the residence halls open?

All residence halls open one week prior to the beginning of each academic semester. For those students requiring arrival on campus early, arrangements can and must be made through the Office of Residential Life.

What staff is available in the residence halls?

A full-time, live-in Residence Hall Director and a Desk Manager administer the individual residence halls. Along with the day-to-day administration, these staff members advise students and facilitate social and educational programs and activities. Another integral part of the Residential Life staff is the Resident Advisor (RA). RAs are undergraduate students, living on the floors of each residence hall, who receive extensive training and serve as information sources, peer advisors and maintain close contact with the residents.

How do I get more information?

We can be reached at:
Lincoln University
Office of Residential Life
925 E. Atchison Ct.
Jefferson City, MO 65101
Ph: (573) 681-5478
Fax: (573) 681-5479
Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.