Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Hemp Institute

Both hemp and marijuana are Cannabis sativa. However, in simple words, hemp is bred for CBD, grain and/or fiber production, whereas marijuana is bred for the Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) production. 

Yes but you need to get a license from the state of Missouri Department of Agriculture before you begin buying hemp seeds. See more details about obtaining a license to grow hemp in the Missouri Department of Agriculture website

Lincoln University regularly organizes hemp field days in various parts of Missouri.

Please visit the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services for more information.

Only a Missouri State Department of Agriculture's approved producer can buy hemp seeds.  A licensed grower can purchase hemp seeds from any of three sources:

  • Missouri agricultural hemp seed and propagule permit holder

  • State or territory approved hemp program

  • Supplier approved by USDA for international importation

You should always regularly check with the Missouri Department of Agriculture for the most current and accurate information.

Currently, few biopesticides are approved by EPA, but it does not mean that those pesticides are legal to use in Missouri. Growers should check the pesticide label to find out if it is approved to use on industrial hemp in Missouri.

Lincoln University of Missouri has experts in plant sciences, plant breeding, entomology, plant pathology, and economics. Please feel free to contact these experts.

You can contact our Plant Pathologist (Dr. Jaimin Patel) at and entomologist (Dr. Clement Akotsen-Mensah) at for disease and insect pest-related concerns.