The Viola M. Smith Young Endowed Scholarship
Who may recieve this scholarship?
Students interested in:
- B.A. or B.S. in History
- B.A. or B.S. in Political Science
- MBA with an emphasis in Public Admininistration and Policy
- M.A. in History
With final recommendations coming from the academic departments, all scholarship recipients must meet the following minimum qualifications. Scholarships will be awarded on a competitive basis.
|Incoming Freshmen||Currently Enrolled
|Residency||Cole County||Cole County||Cole County|
|Cumulative GPA||3.0 high school GPA to apply;
3.25 to maintain
|3.25 Cum GPA to apply;
3.25 to maintain
|Admission to Graduate
School with 3.25 GPA to
|Three letters of support||Three letters of support||
Three letters of reference; can be the
same ones submitted as part of the graduate application packet
|Letter of interest or intent||Yes||Yes||Yes|
One-semester Jefferson city-based internship scholarships in the amount of $1,000 are available for the following courses:
|PAD 590||PAD 595|
|PSC 499/599||HIS 499/591|
One-semester out-of-state internship scholarships in the amount of $5,000 are available.
Students receiving the Viola M. Smith Young Scholarship for the major are not eligible to receive the scholarship if they are awarded the $5,000 out-of-state internship scholarship for study in the U.S. or abroad.
Students recceiving the Viola M. Smith Young Scholarship for the major are not eligible for the one-semester field study award.
- Up to ten(10) four-year scholarships for incoming freshmen and continuing students majoring in History or Political Science.
- Scholarships approximately $6,000 per year.
- Scholarships are renewable for up to eight(8) semesters
- Students must maintain a minimum 3.25 cumulative GPA and be in good standing with the university.
- Students who meet the requirements but who have other sources of funds may apply for a partial scholarship of up to $1,500.
- Up to four(4) graduate scholarships of up to $4,600 each are available.
- Two(2) scholarships to students enrolled in the M.B.A. program with Public Adminstration emphasis.
- Two(2) scholarships to studnets enrolled in the Master of History.