Keeping the Dream Alive
With the deeding of its property to the state in 1879, Lincoln Institute formally became a state institution. Later, under the 2nd Morrill Act of 1890, the school became a land-grant institution. In 1921, the Missouri Legislature passed a bill introduced by Walthall M. Moore, the 1st African American to serve in that body, which expanded the schools mission and changed its name to Lincoln University. The North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools accredited the high school division in 1925, the teacher-training program in 1926, and the four-year college of arts and sciences in 1934. Graduate instruction was added in the summer session of 1940.