Meet the Faculty
Bruce Shanks, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Animal Science
Department of Agriculture and Environmental Science
820 Chestnut Street
Jefferson City, Missouri 65101
Phone: (573) 681-5382
- Ph.D., Animal Science/Meat Science, South Dakota State University, Brookings, South Dakota
- M.S., Animal Science/Animal Breeding, Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana
- B.S., Animal Science, Missouri State University, Springfield, Missouri
Dr. Bruce Shanks teaches various animal science courses here at L.U. and serves as an advisor to the L.U. Ag Club. He serves on several boards and committees including the Missouri Forage and Grasslands Council, Missouri Farm Bureau Sheep and Goat Advisory Committee, Mid-Missouri Grazing Committee, Maries County Farm Bureau, Osage County Extension, Maries RII FFA Advisory, Belle Fair Livestock Board, South Poll Grass Cattle Association, and others. He is also affiliated with the American Society of Animal Science and North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture. Dr. Shanks and his family raise both registered South Poll cattle and Katahdin hair sheep on a managed-intensive grazing system on their 300 acre farm and 8 rented farms in Belle, Missouri. Their operations focus on a sustainable, cost-sensitive, grass based approach to livestock production.
- Low-input livestock production
- Multi-species grazing
Current Research Projects
- Selection for Parasite Resistance in Kiko/Boer Goats
- Shanks, B. C., P. G. Hatfield, R. A. Field, J. A. Hopkins, and G. S. Lewis. 2000. Influence of winter backgrounding system on subsequent lamb finishing performance, body composition, carcass traits, and palatability. Sheep & Goat Res. J. 16(3):88-93.
- Shanks, B. C., M. W. Tess, D. D. Kress, and B. E. Cunningham. 2001. Genetic evaluation of carcass traits in Simmental-sired cattle at different slaughter end points. J. Anim. Sci. 79:595-604.
- Shanks, B. C., D. M. Wulf, B. J. Reuter, and R. J. Maddock. 2002. Increasing tenderness of beef round and sirloin muscles through pre-rigor skeletal separations. J. Anim. Sci. 80:123-128.
- Shanks, B. C., D. M. Wulf, and R. J. Maddock. 2002. Technical note: The effect of freezing on Warner-Bratzler shear force values of beef longissimus steaks across several postmortem aging periods. J. Anim. Sci. 80:2122-2125.
- A. C. Kukowski, D. M. Wulf, B. C. Shanks, J. K. Page, and R. J. Maddock. 2004. Factors associated with surface iridescence in fresh beef. Meat Sci. 66:889-893.