Meet the Faculty
Raimund, Bayan, Ph.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor Soil and Environmental Sciences
308 Foster Hall
Jefferson City, Missouri 65102
Phone: (573) 681-5592
- Ph.D. 1994, University of Kentucky
- Ph.D. 1990, UK.
- Iowa State University
- Postdoc University of Missouri
- B.S. Lincoln University in Missouri
- Biochar characterization and production.
- Biomass production & bioenergy research and engineering.
- Environmental monitoring & remediation.
- Hazardous compounds in soil-water-sediment systems.
- Soil mineralogy; soil fertility/quality and plant nutrition.
- Environmental, soil, water chemistry
- Environmental monitoring and remediation
- Soils in our environment
- Soil chemistry and mineralogy
Research interests are primarily environmental geochemistry and mineralogy including soil, water, and all types of rocks including optical study of coal and x-ray studies of pelites, and ceramics. New approaches to soil management to reduce carbon emission and to sequester atmospheric gases known to cause global climate change. Also interested in nutrient cycling within the pedosphere/hydrosphere/atmosphere system. Use of nanotechnology in plant protection and better control of polluting chemical elements and compounds. Soil reclamation and drainage issues from mines. Recent activities have focused on slow pyrolysis of biomass to produce biochar and bioenergy, biochar characterization and how it affects nutrient cycling within the pedosphere.
- Wang, X., Bayan, M.R., Yu, M. Ludlow, D, Liang, X. (2017). Atomic layer deposition surface functionalized biochar for adsorption of organic pollutants: Improved hydrophilia and adsorption capacity. International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology. JEST-D-16-01039R1. Accepted on 06 Feb 2017.
- Valeeva A.A., Grigoryan B.R., Bayan, M.R. (Printed 2016). Biochar Study to Improve the Sorption Properties of Soils. Pages: 329-331. КОНФЕРЕНЦИЯ «ЭКОЛОГИЯ И; ЭНЕРГОЭФФЕКТИВНОСТЬ». ЭНЕРГОРЕСУРСОЭФФЕКТИВНОСТЬ И ЭНЕРГОСБЕРЕЖЕНИЕ В РЕСПУБЛИКЕ ТАТАРСТАН. Труды XV Международного симпозиума «Энергоресурсоэффективность и энергосбережение»; 1–3 апреля 2015 г. Казань 2015. http://cet.tatarstan.ru/file/SBORNIK%2005_08_2015(1).pdf
- Valeeva A.A., Grigoryan B.R., Bayan M.R., Giniyatullin K.G., Vandyukov A.E. (2015) Adsorption of Methylene Blue by Biochar Produced Through Torrefaction and Slow Pyrolysis from Switchgrass // Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences, 2015, V6(4), P.8-17
- Bayan, M. R. (2013). Effect of biochar produced from two different biomass feedstocks on soybean growth and nodulation. Наследие И.В. Тюрина в современных исследованиях в почвоведении / Материалы международной научной конференции15-17 октября 2013 г. Казань: Отечество, 2013.
- Bayan, M. R. and J. C. Hower. (2012). Illite "Crystallinity" and Vitrinite Reflectance in the Central Appalachian Carboniferous Strata. International Journal of Coal Geology, 94 (2012) 167-172.
- Bayan, M.R., Hower, J. (2012)Illite crystallinity and coal metamorphism for selected Central Appalachian coals and shales. Journal of Coal Petrology (in press).
- Bayan, M.R., Eivazi, F. (2012) Arylamidase, acid- and alkaline-phosphatase, and beta-glucosidase activities in the presence of biochar samples produced from different feedstocks. Comm. Soil Sci. Plant Analysis. (in press).
- Eivazi, F., M. R. Bayan, and K. Schmidt. 2003. Select soil enzyme activities in the historic Sanborn field as affected by long-term cropping systems. Comm. Soil Sci. Plant Analysis. Vol. 34 Nos. 15 &16, pp.2259-2275.
- Bayan, M.R., Eivazi, F. (1999); Selected enzyme activities as affected by iron oxides and clay particle size. Comm. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 30 (11 & 12), 1561-1571.
- Bayan, M.R., and F. Eivazi (1993); Enzyme activities in the topsoil of an oak-hickory forest following long-term prescribed burning. The Ninth Central Harwood Forest Conference, p.485-487.
- Bayan, M.R., Ettenssohn, F.R. (1993); A Supergene alteration of substrates below Devonian-Mississippian Oil and Gas Shales: Origin and Significance. Eastern Oil-Shale Symposium. Oil Shale, Tar Sands/Heavy Oil. Lexington, Kentucky.
- Bayan, M.R., Eivazi, F. (1992); Activities of phosphomonoestrases as Influenced by goethite and pyrite. Geomicrobiology Journal, 9:217-224.
SELECT EXTENSION PUBLICATIONS:
- Bayan. M. R. (2014). Prospects for biochar Use in Missouri. Use of Biochar in Sustainable Food Production and Effects on Missouri Soils. Lincoln University Cooperative Extension and Research LUCER Report #11-2014.