What is considered good behavior online?
Communicating online is now a big part of our everyday lives. It is important to understand customary rules of online etiquette commonly referred to as Netiquette. Netiquette can be summarized by three simple rules:
- Remember that there is a human being on the other end of your communication
- Treat that human being with respect
- Do not transmit any message that you wouldn't be willing to communicate face to face.
Here are some Student Guidelines for the class:
- Avoid controlling discussions.
- Avoid slang and offensive language.
- Never ridicule someone's ability to read or write.
- Use simple English.
- Use correct spelling and grammar.
- Share tips with other students.
- Keep an "open-mind" and be willing to express even your minority opinion.
- Be aware of the College's Academic Honesty Policy.
- Think before you push the "Send" button.
- Do not hesitate to ask for feedback.
- When in doubt, always check with your instructor for clarification.
Review the student handbook for students' rights and responsibilities. The material posted below is a helpful guideline for posting in online discussions.