- DESCRIPTION OF ON-CAMPUS HOUSING FIRE SAFETY SYSTEMFire Alarm monitoring by LU personnelPartial Sprinkler System (1)Full Sprinkler System (2)Fire Extinguishing DevicesSmoke Detection DevicesEvacuation Plans/ PlacardsAnthonyYNYYYYBennettYNYYYYDawsonYNYYYYHoardYNYYYYMartin*N/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/APerry *N/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/AShermann D. ScruggsYNXYYYTullYNYYYYYatesYNYYYY(1) Partial Sprinkler system is defined as having sprinklers in the common areas only(2) Full Sprinkler system is defined as having sprinklers in both common areas and individual rooms*Martin Hall has been closed since Fall 2010 semester*Perry Hall has been closed since the begining of the Fall 2013 semester
- ELECTRICAL APPLIANCES
Most rooms are equipped with a microwave and refrigerator. Hot plates or other cooking appliances are not allowed in the residence halls. The only other appliances permitted are:
· Clothes iron (with temperature settings)
· Curling iron
· Electric blanket (with temperature settings)
· Hair dryer
· Hair rollers
· Heating pad (with temperature settings)
- SMOKING AND OPEN FLAMES
Smoking and open flames are not allowed inside residence halls on campus and as of January 1, 2013 Lincoln University became a smoke free campus.
- CAMPUS EMERGENCY/FIRE EVACUATION POLICIES
The fire alarm alerts community members of a potential hazard, and community members are required to heed their warning and evacuate a building immediately upon hearing a fire alarm in a facility. Use the nearest stairwell and/or exit to leave the building immediately. Community members should familiarize themselves with the exits in each building. When a fire alarm is activated, the elevators in most buildings will stop automatically. Occupants should use the stairs to evacuate the building. Each elevator is equipped with an emergency telephone button in the event that a resident is trapped in an elevator. All emergency phones in elevators ring directly to the Lincoln University Police Department.
In the event of a fire, residence hall occupants are expected to do the following:
· Cooperate fully with all University or emergency services personnel.
· Evacuate in a safe, orderly manner via the closest exit.
· Exit via stairwells, NOT by an elevator.
· Help others who need assistance.
· Pull the fire alarm on your way out of the building
· Take personal belongings if time permits
· Make sure you lock the door as you exit.
· Go to the designated meeting place outside.
· Remain outside the building until University or emergency services personnel give the all-clear.
If an occupant is trapped in a residence hall:
· Remain in his/her room
· Seal the base of the door to prevent smoke from entering
· Call 911 and alert emergency personnel to occupant’s location
· Open a window and signal for help.
See “In Case of Fire” on EHS page for information fire in labs
- FIRE SAFETY EDUCATION AND TRAINING PROGRAMS
LUPD provides handouts for fire safety available to all students living in residence halls and rules regarding fire safety are listed in the LU Student Handbook. Resident assistants (RA)’s also provide information on fire safety in each dormitory, and a copy of Emergency Response Procedures is placed inside of each door room. Currently Lincoln University Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) provided Fire Safety Training as part of the annual OSHA training modules for the University Faculty and Staff.
- FIRE REPORTING
Pursuant to 34 CFR 668.41, Lincoln University is required to annually disclose statistical data on all fires that occur in on-campus student housing facilities. Listed below are the non-emergency numbers to call to report fires that have already been extinguished in on-campus student housing. These are fires to be reported, if it is unclear that the Lincoln University Police Department has already been notified in the event of such a fire, individuals are asked to contact the following with information about the location, date, time and cause of the fire:
- Lincoln University Police Department (573) 681-5555
- Housing & Residential Life Office (573) 681-5478 & Housing & Residential Life Staff Contact Info
- PLANS FOR FUTURE IMPROVEMENT AND FIRE SAFETY
No plans noted at this time.