Active Shooter Information
Active Shooter Information
Run. Hide. Fight. "Surviving an Active Shooter Event" provided by http://www.readyhoustontx.gov
Last Resort Active Shooter Survival Measures provided by https://actcert.com/default.aspx
DISCLAIMER: An individual must use his/her own discretion during an active shooter event as to whether he/she chooses to run to safety or remain in place. However, best practices for surviving an active shooter event are listed below.
REMEMBER: Law Enforcement's first priority is to confront and disable the threat.
An active shooter is an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a confined or populated area; in most cases, active shooter use firearm(s) and there is no pattern or method to their selection of victims.
- When calling 9-1-1 from a cell phone on campus, state that you are calling from Lincoln University, the building name, room number and reason for the call.
- If you are in an office, stay there and secure the door. If you are in a hallway, get into a room and secure the door.
- If you are outside, look for buildings, brick walls, vehicles or solid structures that will provide protection from bullets.
For more information contact the Lincoln University Police Department at 573-681-5555
Active Shooter Procedures and Information
- HOW TO RESPOND WHEN AN ACTIVE SHOOTER IS IN YOUR VICINITYQuickly determine the most reasonable way to protect your own life. Remember that students and visitors are likely to follow the lead of faculty and staff during emergency situations.1. EVACUATE/(RUN)If there is an accessible escape path, attempt to evacuate the premises. Be sure to:· Have an escape route and plan in mind, evacuate regardless whether others agree to follow or not· Leave your belongings behind· Follow the instructions of any police officers2. HIDEOUT/(HIDE)If evacuation is not possible, find a place to hide where the active shooter is less likely to find you.Your hiding place should:· Be out of the active shooter's view· Provide protection if shots are fired in your direction (i.e., an office with a closed and locked door)· To prevent an active shooter from entering your hiding place:· Lock the door· Blockade the door with heavy furnitureIf the active shooter is nearby:· Lock the door· Silence your cell phone· Hide behind large items (furniture, cabinets, desks)· Remain quiet3. TAKE ACTION AGAINST THE ACTIVE SHOOTER/(FIGHT)As a last resort, and only when your life is in imminent danger, attempt to disrupt and/orincapacitate the active shooter by:· Acting as aggressively as possible against him/her· Throwing items and improvising weapons· Yelling· Committing to your actions4. IF OUTSIDE WHEN A SHOOTING OCCURS· Drop to the ground immediately, face down as flat as possible. If within 15-20 feet of a safe place or cover, duck and run to it.· Move or crawl away from gunfire, trying to utilize any obstructions between you and the gunfire. Remember that many objects of cover may conceal you from sight, but may not be bulletproof.· When you reach a place of relative safety, stay down and do not move. Do not peek or raise your head in an effort to see what may be happening.· Wait and listen for directions from Public Safety and/law enforcement personnel.
- HOW TO RESPOND WHEN LAW ENFORCEMENT ARRIVES
Law enforcement's purpose is to stop the active the active shooter as soon as possible. Officers will proceed directly to the area in which the last shots were heard.· Officers may wear regular patrol uniforms or external bulletproof vests, and helmets· Officers may be armed with rifles, shotguns, handguns· Officers may use pepper spray or tear gas to control the situation.· Officers may shout commands and may order individuals to the ground for their safetyHOW TO REACT WHEN LAW ENFORCEMENT ARRIVES:· Remain calm and follow officer's instructions· Put down any items in your hands (i.e., bags, jackets)· Keep hands visible at all times
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
- LUPD Active Shooter Handout
- LUPD Active Shooter Training (PPT)
- Department of Homeland Security Active Shooter Guide