Sensitive Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
What is PII?
In their publication titled, "SLDS Technical Brief, Guidance for Statewide Longitudinal Data Systems (SLDS), The National Center for Education Statistics states, "Personally identifiable information, as defined by FERPA, includes, but is not limited to:
- The student's name;
- The name of the student's parent or other family members;
- The address of the student or student's family;
- A personal identifier, such as the student's Social Security Number, student number, or biometric record;
- Other indirect identifiers, such as the student's date of birth, place of birth, and mother's maiden name;
- Other information that, alone or in combination, is linked or linkable to a specific student that would allow a reasonble person in the school communit, who does not have personal knowledge of the relevant circumstances, to indentify the student with reasonable certainty;
- Information requested by a person who the education agency or institution rerasonably believes knows the identity of the student to whom the education record relates (34 CFR § 99.3)"