Web Content Display javax.portlet.title.56
Minimize

LU History Timeline

 

Founded in 1866 by the 62nd and 65th United States Colored Infantries, Lincoln University now stands as the oldest Historically Black College and University (HBCU) west of the Mississippi and the only institution in America founded by African American Civil War veterans.

 

 

1866

January 14: formally conceived plan for Lincoln Institute.

 

February: formal Board of Trustees formed

 

June : Articles of Association accepted by Circuit Court of Cole County

 

September 17: first classes of Lincoln Institute held in a dilapidated, two-room building, abandoned by the public school system.  Classes in reading, writing and arithmetic were taught by Richard B. Foster and attended by Henry Brown and Cornelius Chappelle. 

1869

Lincoln acquires land for the present site of campus

1870

February 14: becomes Normal School under the Morrill Act of 1862

1871

First building dedicated on July 4th.  Dedication celebration involved a reunion of the 62nd and 65th U.S.C.T.

1879

Lincoln Institute becomes a fully, state-supported Normal School

1887

Passage of Section 717A in the Missouri Laws allowed for students who obtained the Normal diploma to teach in Missouri without further examination

1891

Lincoln was designated as a land grant institution under the Second Morrill Act of 1890

Agricultural and industrial courses added

1921

 

1925

 

1926

Lincoln Institute became Lincoln University with the aid of Walthall Moore.  Established the Board of Curators.

Lincoln University Laboratory High School accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.

Teacher training program added at the University.

1932

Scroller’s Club, pledges of the Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity, established The Lincoln University Clarion on April 26.

1935

Lincoln University Law School established

Four-year Arts and Science program added.

1940

Graduate program in education and history instituted (summer)

1942

Lincoln University School of Journalism established

1953

Student theatrical group, the Stagecrafters, performed A Streetcar named Desire by Tennessee Williams, the 1st production of this play by an African American group.

1955

Law School closed. 

1958

EBONY Magazine declares LU “The School Too Good to Die.”

1969

Arsonists set fire to Memorial Hall and the Student Union

1970s

“Blue” was added to LU’s Mascot, the Tiger, as a way to distinguish between LU’s and Mizzou’s teams.

1971

Beginning of major federal funding for Cooperative Extension and Cooperative Research

1972

KLUM-FM established with Title III funds

Memorial Hall, landmark building, razed

1973

Master’s of Education in Adult Education added

1974

Master’s of Business Administration in Management added

1977

First female president of the Board of Curators

1979

Use USAID funds to initiate the International Program

1988

JC-TV, Public Access Channel 3 awarded to LU

2005

First female President of the University (Dr. Carolyn Mahoney)

 

The events mentioned above are merely the highlights of Lincoln University's dynamic history.  If you have additional information that may be added to the timeline, please contact the University Archivist at (573) 681-5514.