Meet the Faculty
Abua Ikem, Ph.D.
Department of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences &
904 Chestnut Street, 204 Foster Hall
Jefferson City, Missouri 65102
Phone: (573) 681-5384
- Ph.D, M.S., B.S., University of Ibadan, Nigeria
- MBA, University of Wales, United Kingdom
- Water Quality/Environmental Risk Assessment
- Food Toxicology
- Chemical Instrumentations
- Method Development
After receiving his doctoral (1996) and an MBA(1997) degrees, Abua began his postdoctoral work at Tuskegee University in Alabama, United States. Abua is presently an Associate Professor at Lincoln University (LU) in Missouri and instructs Living Chemistry (CHM 103 Online and traditional classes), ENV 103 (Introduction to Environmental Science), ENV 520 (Instrumental Analysis) and AGR 520 (Advanced Analytical Methods). Abua's research interests are water quality / environmental risk assessment, food toxicology, and chemical instrumentations. He has several peer-reviewed articles and a member of the editorial board of Chemical Sciences Journal and Academic editor of "Water", a special issue in the Beverage journal.
Abua is a reviewer for notable international journals such as Agricultural Water Management, Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, Hazard and Hazardous Materials, Food Composition and Analysis, Chemosphere, Food and Chemical Toxicology, Soil and Sediment Contamination and Food Quality. He is a member of American Chemical Society and the Institute of Chartered Chemists of Nigeria.
- Elliott Kellner, Jason A. Hubbart, Abua Ikem, A comparison of forest and agricultural shallow groundwater chemical status a century after land use change. Science Total Environment 2015, 529: 82-90.
- Abua Ikem, Bruce Shanks, James Caldwell, Jimmie Garth, Suman Ahuja. Estimating the daily intake of essential and nonessential elements from lamb m. longissimus thoracis et lumborum consumed by the population in Missouri (United States) Journal of Food Composition and Analysis 2015, 40: 126-135.
- Abua Ikem, Bob Broz, Jimmie Garth, Samson Tesfaye and Lin Chung-Ho. Evaluation of Surface Water Quality Impacted by Sewage Overflows from Animal and Residential Lagoon Systems using Principal Component Analysis. J Environ Anal Toxicol 2013, 3:7; http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2161-0525.1000197
- Abua Ikem, Shade Adisa. Runoff effect on eutrophic lake water quality and heavy metal distribution in recent sediment. Chemosphere 2011; 82: 259-267.
- Jonathan N. Egilla and Abua Ikem. Influence of nutrient source and growing environment on tissue elemental concentration and yield of Cos lettuce in hydroponic culture. International Journal of Vegetable Science 2011; 17: 83—103.
- Abua Ikem. Measurement of volatile organic compounds in bottled and tap waters by purge and trap GC-MS: Are drinking water types different? Journal of Food Composition and Analysis 2010; 23: 70 -77.