Meet the Faculty
Abua Ikem, Ph.D.
Department of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences
Lincoln University Cooperative Research (LUCR)
Lincoln University of Missouri
904 Chestnut Street, Foster Hall Room 204
Jefferson City, MO 65101
Phone: (573) 681-5384
- Ph.D, M.S., and B.S., University of Ibadan, Nigeria
- MBA, University of Wales, United Kingdom
- Water quality/environmental risk assessment
- Food toxicology
- Chemical instrumentations
- Method development
After receiving his doctorate (1996) and MBA (1997) degrees, Ikem began his postdoctoral work at Tuskegee University in Alabama. Ikem is presently an Associate Professor at Lincoln University (LU) of Missouri, where he instructs CHM 103: Living Chemistry (online and traditional classes); ENV 103: Introduction to Environmental Science; ENV 520: Instrumental Analysis; and AGR 520: Advanced Analytical Methods. He has published several peer-reviewed articles and is a member of the editorial board of Chemical Sciences Journal and academic editor of Water, a special issue of The Beverage Journal.
Ikem is a reviewer for notable international journals such as Agricultural Water Management; Estuarine; Coastal and Shelf Science; Journal of Hazard and Hazardous Materials; Food Composition and Analysis; Chemosphere; Food and Chemical Toxicology; Soil and Sediment Contamination; An International Journal; and Journal of Food Quality. He is a member of the American Chemical Society and the Institute of Chartered Chemists of Nigeria.
- Kellner, E., Hubbart, J. A., and A. Ikem. "A Comparison of Forest and Agricultural Shallow Groundwater Chemical Status A Century After Land Use Change." Science Total Environment 529 (2015): 82-90.
- Ikem, A., Shanks, B., Caldwell, J., Garth, J., and S. Ahuja. "Estimating the Daily Intake of Essential and Nonessential Elements from lamb M. longissimus thoracis et lumborum Consumed by the Population in Missouri (United States)." Journal of Food Composition and Analysis 40 (2015): 126-135.
- Ikem, A., Broz, B., Garth, J., Tesfaye, S., and L. Chung-Ho. "Evaluation of Surface Water Quality Impacted by Sewage Overflows from Animal and Residential Lagoon Systems using Principal Component Analysis." Journal of Environmental & Analytical Toxicology 3 (2013): 7. doi: 10.4172/2161-0525.1000197
- Ikem, A., and S. Adisa. "Runoff Effect on Eutrophic Lake Water Quality and Heavy Metal Distribution in Recent Sediment." Chemosphere 82 (2011): 259-267.
- Egilla, J., and A. Ikem. "Influence of Nutrient Source and Growing Environment on Tissue Elemental Concentration and Yield of Cos Lettuce in Hydroponic Culture." International Journal of Vegetable Science 17 (2011): 83-103.
- Ikem, A. "Measurement of Volatile Organic Compounds in Bottled and Tap Waters by Purge and Trap GC-MS: Are Drinking Water Types Different?" Journal of Food Composition and Analysis 23 (2010): 70-77.