Meet the Faculty
Raimund, Bayan, Ph.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor Soil and Environmental Sciences
308 Foster Hall
Jefferson City, Missouri 65102
Phone: (573) 681-5592
- Ph.D. 1994, University of Kentucky
- Ph.D. 1990, UK.
- Biochar characterization and production.
- Biomass production & bioenergy research and engineering.
- Environmental monitoring & remediation.
- Hazardous compounds in soil-water-sediment systems.
- Soil mineralogy; soil fertility/quality and plant nutrition.
- Environmental, soil, water chemistry
- Environmental monitoring and remediation
- Soils in our environment
- Soil chemistry and mineralogy
Research interests are primarily environmental geochemistry and mineralogy including soil, water, and all types of rocks including optical study of coal and x-ray studies of pelites, and ceramics. New approaches to soil management to reduce carbon emission and to sequester atmospheric gases known to cause global climate change. Also interested in nutrient cycling within the pedosphere/hydrosphere/atmosphere system. Use of nanotechnology in plant protection and better control of polluting chemical elements and compounds. Soil reclamation and drainage issues from mines. Recent activities have focused on slow pyrolysis of biomass to produce biochar and bioenergy, biochar characterization and how it affects nutrient cycling within the pedosphere.
- Bayan, M.R., (2014); Prospects of Biochar Use in Missouri, LUCER MC Report 11-2014.
- Bayan, M.R., Hower, J. (2012)Illite crystallinity and coal metamorphism for selected Central Appalachian coals and shales. Journal of Coal Petrology (in press).
- Bayan, M.R., Eivazi, F. (2012) Arylamidase, acid- and alkaline-phosphatase, and beta-glucosidase activities in the presence of biochar samples produced from different feedstocks. Comm. Soil Sci. Plant Analysis. (in press).
- Eivazi, F., M. R. Bayan, and K. Schmidt. 2003. Select soil enzyme activities in the historic Sanborn field as affected by long-term cropping systems. Comm. Soil Sci. Plant Analysis. Vol. 34 Nos. 15 &16, pp.2259-2275.
- Bayan, M.R., Eivazi, F. (1999); Selected enzyme activities as affected by iron oxides and clay particle size. Comm. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 30 (11 & 12), 1561-1571.
- Bayan, M.R., and F. Eivazi (1993); Enzyme activities in the topsoil of an oak-hickory forest following long-term prescribed burning. The Ninth Central Harwood Forest Conference, p.485-487.
- Bayan, M.R., Ettenssohn, F.R. (1993); A Supergene alteration of substrates below Devonian-Mississippian Oil and Gas Shales: Origin and Significance. Eastern Oil-Shale Symposium. Oil Shale, Tar Sands/Heavy Oil. Lexington, Kentucky.
- Bayan, M.R., Eivazi, F. (1992); Activities of phosphomonoestrases as Influenced by goethite and pyrite. Geomicrobiology Journal, 9:217-224.